Monday, September 14, 2009

Celebrate Gaithersburg

This coming Sunday I'll be at the Celebrate Gaithersburg Festival:
http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/celebrate/09/home.html

Starting Wednesday they're forecasting days of rain -- except for Sunday! I hope it remains true. The weather is such an important variable for outside events. Let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've felt the terror of spending two days in a wind-whipped tent, praying that the glass you've spent hours laboring over won't be knocked over and shattered. Sure, when you're outside, the advantage is that you can drive right up to your space -- it's a decadence to pull a table out of the car and set it up just a few feet away. But when you're inside, the weather doesn't matter as much (your worries become people who don't recognize that their backpack, the purse they've shoved behind their elbow, or their bulky coat is swinging into everything behind them). Soon the lovely weather of fall will bring community centers and expo halls.

I'm also working to find office buildings that bring in outside vendors for shopping days in the Washington, DC area. If you know of any, please pass that info along!

2 comments:

  1. I hope the show is a huge success for you. I remember years ago at a craft show on the Jersey shore, there was a gal there who had just set up all of her lovely glass wares, all lovingly handpainted. A gust of wind came and blew her tent, shelves and displays over and destroyed most of it. I cried right along with her. I'd love to see some of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy,

    I live in terror of that happening to me. At my first outdoor festival the wind gusted for two days. I spent a lot of time holding onto my tent. After a few hours the first day I had dismantled all my shelving and had my glass laid out flat on tables where the billowing sides of the tent couldn't knock things over. Each festival I learn a little bit more to do to protect my glass.

    I have some photos of my work on Facebook -- check it out at facebook.com/BellaFioriGlass. I believe that my husband and I have one of your paintings. He bought it from the CorgiAid auction the first year we were married. It's a painting of a corgi couple at the altar, and the boy is looking terrified. My husband thought it was hysterical and has it displayed prominently in our living room.

    ReplyDelete